Skip to main content

Siddhi talks at GE

 

Yesterday, Siddharta came over to our GE office. A few of us huddled in a small quiet conf. room and Siddharta gave a splendid demo of the software he is working on. And we had some great discussion on agile, agile in restrained environments, such as those controlled by regulatory agencies like FDA. Post session, Lavanya, Siddharta and I finished off at the cafeteria jostling details and efficacy of stand-ups.

 

I met Siddharta at Barcamp Bangalore 3, a few months back. A guy with incisive views, he is one of the more-meat-less-talk tech-entrepreneurs I have come across. It is good to see fruitful social and commercial relationships spring up from Barcamp -- he has some good leads now.

 

I struggle to make some people understand that one aspect of the Barcamp community is to build and support business relationships and networks. Some people get mad at even one single job-post. "Don't spam me", the vociferous will cry, giving little or no thought to somebody who might actually be looking for a change. "I do not want you to use my email bandwidth to make money for yourself/company".  

 

These same people will beeline for the startup talks at Barcamp.

 

As long as we do not shed our hypocritical attitude towards making money, a vibrant entrepreneur community will remain a distant dream.

Comments

  1. Thanks for inviting me over to give the talk. I had a great time there.

    Interesting thoughts about building a community.

    I think the community within itself should be allowed to send job posts. Like you said, such interactions are important for building the community.

    The thing that scares many people is when people outside the community start thinking that this is a fertile group for sending such mails. They join the group, send a mail and are never seen again. These people are not part of the community, and not interested in building it up, they are just spamming.

    Perhaps we should have a system where you have to be a member of the group for X amount of time before sending out a job mail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barcamps over the world: BCB3/Minnebar

I think I am kinda special. Not quite like Paris Hilton special, but getting a  chance to attend two Barcamps separated by 8000 miles in a span of 3 weeks has got to be some kind of special stuff. I think the big guy above is smiling at me. Invest in my equity. This is an article outlining some of the interesting differences I saw between the barcamps in Bangalore (BCB3, 31 March -April 1, 2007 ) and Minnesota(Minnebar 2007, 21 April). This is not an article intended to compare or pass a judgement. Just throwing up some observations, fwiw . I am not offering explanations, I am not a socio-anthropology by training. Some of these do not require a degree to arrive at the reason of causation, but I want to keep this blog close to what I saw, not what I think. At most, some "could-be"s. Both the barcamps have a local flavour and preservation of local flavour to me, is inherently good.  Consider food, for example.  A predominantly South Indian buffet spread for lunch at BCB3 a

Bambi 2.0

Bambi is a small coding-fest that we organise in our group at GE Healthcare. It was inspired by Yahoo Hackday after I heard about it at BarCamp Bangalore last year. I still remember, I came back all charged up after BarCamp and with some help from Arun B, we put together the first version of Bambi. Ours was a small team, roughly about 60 people, so spreading the news was not much of a problem. Getting people out of their workload was a bigger problem. The load is high and the work is, I guess, somewhat exciting ;-)  It is sometimes tough to lure people out of writing indexing algorithms for proprietary image databases or mitral-valve plane adjusters for segmentation of the human heart.     Today we had the demos for Bambi 2.0 The quality of demos were much improved and people came on the last day with some utterly cool demos. Unfortunately, I do not think I can write about them in detail owing to Intellectual Property issues but a mash of  Biometrics, Bluetooth, MRI scanners and

Barcamp Bangalore 4: Collectively speaking

  Bangalore is a fascinating city. BCB4 is happening on 28th and 29th of this month at the Indian Institute of Management.   The Barcamp out here is spectacular for at least three reasons. big With over 600 registrants at BCB3 in March/April, this is the largest Barcamp in the word. And if you talk to the people who make it happen, they will, in classical duality-of-life style, tell you that quality rules over quantity. times Organising anything of this size is rope-climbing tough. And doing that once a quarter. Oh my God. And that too, when there is no direct monetary profit to be reaped. I am neither an economist nor a sociologist (And never wanted to be), but this calls for some serious introspection into human behaviour. new Bangalore takes the definition of an unconference to a new level. When the definition of unconference itself was starting to gather a cruddy layer of formality -- the same new Ajax, Web 2.0, ROR, Bangalore just tore the definitions with BCB3: SocialT