Skip to main content

Barcamp Bangalore 4: Collectively speaking

 

Bangalore is a fascinating city. BCB4 is happening on 28th and 29th of this month at the Indian Institute of Management.

 

The Barcamp out here is spectacular for at least three reasons.

  1. big

    With over 600 registrants at BCB3 in March/April, this is the largest Barcamp in the word. And if you talk to the people who make it happen, they will, in classical duality-of-life style, tell you that quality rules over quantity.
  2. times

    Organising anything of this size is rope-climbing tough. And doing that once a quarter. Oh my God. And that too, when there is no direct monetary profit to be reaped. I am neither an economist nor a sociologist (And never wanted to be), but this calls for some serious introspection into human behaviour.
  3. new

    Bangalore takes the definition of an unconference to a new level. When the definition of unconference itself was starting to gather a cruddy layer of formality -- the same new Ajax, Web 2.0, ROR, Bangalore just tore the definitions with BCB3: SocialTech. And this time around, BCB4: Collectives. Whether you like it or not, whether you like your screens in "Beta" sauce or "Classic", doesn't matter; you have to raise your hat to this communities immense momentum to initiate, drive and execute new untested ideas. There are, like in all such situations, a few thought-leaders, and I wont embarrass them by calling out their name, but to drive these ideas through a jungle of a thousand techies (who by design are themselves anti-authoritative, anti-norm), needs a different kind of drive.

 

Collectives

For those who have not seen the definition or are just wondering whether this has something to do with the paradigm of Java Collections, fear not. It has a simpler name -- BoF - Birds of a Feather. In any conference, you are likely to find small groups of people sticking together and discussing their own personal sweet thing. Could be a passion, could be a problem-of-the day.

Collectives are just that. You get together around a topic or domain and have fun. Two days of camaraderie (oh that's one more thing.. I do not think any Barcamp comes in a two day package).

There are collective around

  • core interests: Internet, Ruby, Python, Ajax -- the works
  • classical stuff : Compiler design, functional programming, memory overflows
  • offbeat stuff: Bicycling in Bangalore, Music (jam/clinics)

And yes, there is also a "Bored of Collectives" collective.

Complete List

 

Hack Night

Two nights of unbound fun. What more do I say ? I like this a lot, at times I felt that the last three Barcamps was more on the "say" side of the say:do ratio.

 

SpeedGeeking

 As far as I recall, siddhartha came up with this idea to have this at BCB4. Here are more details.

 

In all, I am looking forward to this. I will have my usual baby-sitting duties on Saturday, so will be in late. Build new ties, renew old ones, and oh, I am doing a guitar clinic, to answer "all the questions your ever wanted to ask about guitars but found no one with short enough hair".

 

Comments

  1. Hi,

    I am Karabi. I work with Brainwave, a product technology company. This will be my first participation and I am nervous about it. Prateek my colleague will be sharing is views on web 3.0 in the internet collectives.

    I read your blog and am assuring myself that it is not too formal or be tangent about my level of thoughts. hope to see you,

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. StartupCity: An event you shouldn't miss!

    Hey,

    Just wanted to let you know about an exciting event siliconindia is organizing on May 29 & 30, 2010 in Bangalore.

    Limited seats. Register FREE: http://www.siliconindia.com/startupcity2010

    Roll up your Sleeves. Meet over 100 cool startups. Learn new Technologies; Watch live product demonstrations; Get a peek into cutting edge technologies; Lay hands on the best-of-breed solutions; Meet young, energetic, passionate geeks; Experience the culture of innovation in small companies; Listen to Visionary Keynotes and In-depth Panel Discussions

    Come. Meet the Startups that will become tomorrow's industry leaders.

    Here's you chance to meet and hear inspiring entrepreneurial story from Krishnakumar Natarajan, co-founder, CEO & MD of Mindtree and Bharat Goenka, Co-Founder & MD of Tally Solutions

    Heads of Dell India, Sage India, Mphasis will talk about building next generation technology companies from India.

    Founders of startup companies like SMSCountry, 123 Greetings.com, Manthan Systems, Ittiam, Jade Magnet will talk about concept to success and idea to revenue.

    You also get to hear interesting discussions on Mistakes entrepreneurs make when approaching VCs and Best Opportunities for Entrepreneurs in 2010, Angel Money and many others from leading venture capitalists like IDG Ventures, Intel Capital, Helion, Clearstone, NEA-IndoUS Ventures.

    This is undoubtedly the biggest event for startups.

    There are limited seats. You can register yourself for FREE at: http://www.siliconindia.com/startupcity_09/index.html

    --
    Thanks & Regards
    Swetha
    ______________________________

    SWETHA KATAGERI
    SiliconIndia
    Ph: 91.80. 43402028
    ________________________________

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barcamps over the world: BCB3/Minnebar

I think I am kinda special. Not quite like Paris Hilton special, but getting a  chance to attend two Barcamps separated by 8000 miles in a span of 3 weeks has got to be some kind of special stuff. I think the big guy above is smiling at me. Invest in my equity. This is an article outlining some of the interesting differences I saw between the barcamps in Bangalore (BCB3, 31 March -April 1, 2007 ) and Minnesota(Minnebar 2007, 21 April). This is not an article intended to compare or pass a judgement. Just throwing up some observations, fwiw . I am not offering explanations, I am not a socio-anthropology by training. Some of these do not require a degree to arrive at the reason of causation, but I want to keep this blog close to what I saw, not what I think. At most, some "could-be"s. Both the barcamps have a local flavour and preservation of local flavour to me, is inherently good.  Consider food, for example.  A predominantly South Indian buffet spread for lunch at BCB3 a

Bambi 2.0

Bambi is a small coding-fest that we organise in our group at GE Healthcare. It was inspired by Yahoo Hackday after I heard about it at BarCamp Bangalore last year. I still remember, I came back all charged up after BarCamp and with some help from Arun B, we put together the first version of Bambi. Ours was a small team, roughly about 60 people, so spreading the news was not much of a problem. Getting people out of their workload was a bigger problem. The load is high and the work is, I guess, somewhat exciting ;-)  It is sometimes tough to lure people out of writing indexing algorithms for proprietary image databases or mitral-valve plane adjusters for segmentation of the human heart.     Today we had the demos for Bambi 2.0 The quality of demos were much improved and people came on the last day with some utterly cool demos. Unfortunately, I do not think I can write about them in detail owing to Intellectual Property issues but a mash of  Biometrics, Bluetooth, MRI scanners and

Talk at Barcamp Bangalore 3

Rakesh and I shared some thoughts on unstructured innovation such as unconferences and codejams in large, well-structured (and somewhat paradoxically) very innovative companies.       Technorati tags: barcampbangalore3 , innovation